I recently came across a bible verse that shook me up a little bit (as they usually do).
Proverbs 25:24
"Better to live on a corner of the roof than share a house with a quarrelsome wife."
The verse creates two images in my mind...one is quite comical. I imagine Nate confined to the corner of a tin roof, eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and drinking sweet tea while I dance around my house in my fuzzy blue bathrobe indulging in dark chocolate candy bars.
The other is a little less humorous. I imagine my husband being so aggravated with me that he would rather live on the roof, as far away from me as he can get than share a house for one more minute. This one shook me up.
Now, by no means do I perceive this as an invitation to be a pushover. I believe it's important to stand up for what one believes in, to feel validated or even just the desire to be heard and get one's point across. However, this verse reminded me of the importance of being selective in what I choose to make a mountain. I need to be able to agree to disagree when it seems that neither party is going to budge. I would rather be the strong, wise and silent supporter (the silent part will take a miracle of God:) than an obnoxious, quarrelsome and overbearing wife/friend/sister/etc.
My prayer...
Heavenly Father,
Please help guide and soften me in my quest to be a strong, wise and silent (gulp!) supporter. Help me discern when an issue is important enough to make an Alamo or small enough to be water under the bridge.
Amen

No comments:
Post a Comment